phil33palmer@gmail.com barbiep.75@gmail.com
mail: Barb/Phil Palmer c/o Galmi Hospital B.P. 44 Madaoua, Niger

Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Day in the Life . . .


I remember this summer, as we were preparing to go to Niger, how I had in my mind "snapshots" of what life might be like, but there was no continuity.  We have shared a lot of pictures of "events" and "new experiences," so now (at daughter Malaika's request) it is time for a little journey into "A Day in the Life . . ."

Sun rises about 6:15 here, and so do I!  the shower is always warm, as is water from every faucet.  We share the same good, plentiful water as  the town of Galmi, however ours is piped to the faucets, while people in Galmi must get it themselves.


Water For Sale-By the Cup?

Buy a Container? 
Dressing is quick, as the clothing for women consists of skirt, top, shoes without socks, and a mandatory head wrap, so in Galmi there are no "bad hair days!" And there are not too many clothing choices to make . . . Which skirt?  Which top? (Often determined by which was the least "sweaty" the last time I wore it!)  The clothing is quite beautiful and most people on the compound have had several pieces made by the tailors in town.  The workmanship is exquisite, often with trims and embroidery added.  I have not done that yet because you have to get fabric from the market and I am usually busy teaching.  I do have pieces of my own that I will use to make skirts.  You do not need too much here!


The head scarves are formal; the usual head coverings are the other "wraps" you see above.


Before I head off to school, I usually grab breakfast, which could be yogurt (Phil makes it every other day or so.), or a wedge of "Laughing Cow," or a couple of eggs.  "Oh, SlimFast, I am missing your quick, sustaining, yummyness!"  It is a lovely 5-minute walk to the classroom, and I enjoy the beauty of God's creativity in nature along the way!



School begins at 8am and the kids are usually there, playing outside, well before that! 
Dan and Elisha Wait for School to Begin
Our classroom looks pretty much like any elementary classroom in the U.S.  We have lots of books, furniture, wash station, bathroom, etc.  However, I must say I have been thankful for almost every resource I brought from my own collection!  I seriously doubted myself as we were paying extra for it at one of the foreign airports!

Teacher Work Station-Never Enough Room!
Hands-On Corner - Math Manipulatives
Student Work Stations-aka Desks!
We work on schoolwork from 8-10, beginning with Bible verse, short discussion, and prayer. I try to have at least a couple of all-student learning activities a day, like a session on "problem-solving strategies," or making little "spinners" to help learn how to write interesting sentences with lots of detail.  Other work is more "individualized."  The boys are ages 6,9,10, and 11, and it is turning out to be more challenging than I thought it would be to have all those different lessons running simultaneously.  Dan, the youngest, is a real "trouper" and tries to do 4th-grade work although he is a very bright 1st-grader.  I usually feel during the day at least one person is being cheated.  I am depending on your prayers to make this a successful learning year for all the students. Thank you!

From 10-10:30 is a break and then another 2 hours of school before lunch at 12:30. I come home for lunch and then return for  the afternoon session, from 1:30 - 3:00, which goes very fast!   The curriculum is like in the United States (I wonder why . . . ?) and I try to give as much "hands-on", "project-based," "open-ended," etc. work as I can.  

I have some real blessings here, that make this opportunity a wonderful experience. . . 
We have air conditioning in the classroom!  The students are very smart, and the Nigerienne boys speak several languages! The children LOVE LOVE LOVE to read, and they are usually clammoring for more reading time!

On Thursday and Friday we do not have afternoon school.  I use that time to plan, grade, or participate in another part of the ministry of the compound.  Last Friday, I got to watch my first "live" surgery, which was the rodding of a broken femur.  Loved it!!!  (By the way, if you are "squeamish," do not enlarge this photo!)

Rodding a Broken Femur


Paging Dr. Barb to the OR . . . STAT!

After school, I am usually pretty tired, especially from the heat.  But the community here is like "family," and sometimes there is a birthday party to go to, like when one of my students turned 11!
Beautiful Sanoussi Family (Dad is doing Surgery?)

When a missionary comes or goes via the SIM plane, it is a "big event" and many come to the airstrip to say good-bye!  One of our medical students (who come for several weeks' experience), left one day last week, as did another well-loved person who was here for 2 months. 

Saying Good-Bye to Alice
It is always nice to return to our "borrowed home" where Phil has been the chief cook and bottle washer!  His meals seriously are delicious, and his most recent dishes have involved okra, which has come fresh from a neighbors garden (with permission!).




Flowering Okra

So, that's a fairly typical school day.  I will try to keep the blogs shorter in the future!  Thank you for your prayers.  I sense them and need them!  All glory be to God!










3 comments:

  1. Oh Phil and Barb,
    Now I get to be on the receiving end by reading YOUR blog!! I love it! It is familiar and exciting all at the same time. I am so happy that you are getting out and experiencing local life and all that it has to offer. I will eagerly await more blogs, and the pictures are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great read, parental unit! Thanks for all the description and pics! Will pray for your continued provision and acclimation to the heat and culture there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really amazing - I loved reading every bit of it. Thanks so much for sharing - I will keep checking back to see what's new! Much love!

    ReplyDelete