phil33palmer@gmail.com barbiep.75@gmail.com
mail: Barb/Phil Palmer c/o Galmi Hospital B.P. 44 Madaoua, Niger

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Disclaimer

"Disclaimer" - a statement that denies something . . . 


I am struggling with blogging.  No denial there.  I love writing about our experiences here in Niger, and sharing photographs which can say what words cannot.  No denial here, either.  But I wrestle with the idea that my words and pictures are trivial compared to the struggle with which life is lived here by the Nigerien people.


So . . .  What's the disclaimer?   I care DEEPLY about what is happening with those who must spend their lives just trying to stay alive.  Please DO NOT think that behind the pictures and words lies an experience that sees just the "curious," the "odd," the "humorous," or the "new."   Blogging is not only my way of trying to share an unique experience God has enabled us to have, but also of coping with situations I cannot do much to change.  I daily ask the same tough questions I require of my students:  "Why?"  "How?" "What?" My students can answer those questions from what I  ask them to read.  I CANNOT answer them from what God has called us to see.


Once a month SIM has scheduled what is called "Day of Prayer."  It is a time when missionaries, as a group, gather for corporate prayer;  a time to affirm the reality of Matthew 18:20:  "Where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."  On the Galmi compound, we gather on Friday evening, rotating leadership of these events among groups of residents here.  Last night's presentation was from a group of several of the doctors, who shared pictures of some of the patients and their specific prayer needs. We prayed.  My heart wept.  Nothing here is "routine;"  starvation, extensive burns, multiple complex broken bones, pervasive HIV and AIDS, typhoid perferations, non-viable babies not yet born, and babies born but not surviving, seem to top the list.  The commonality of preventable amputations is shocking!


Because living and working here is an intense situation in whatever role a person has here - doctor, teacher, hospitality, workshop, painter, administrator, technology help (and SO MANY more!) - I have to remind myself there are only two things I have control over and that have the potential to effect change:  1- prayer, and 2- doing the job God called me to do here!  But finding opportunities to laugh with others, and photograph the  "curious," the "odd," the "humorous," or the "new," help "lighten the load" and keep life in a more healthy perspective for all.  So enjoy the picture  of "what God called me to do here," and know that I love it and appreciate your support! 
Galmi Day School 2011-2012
(They are way more fun than they look here!!!)



1 comment:

  1. Mom, this was beautifully written. I love your hearing your heart! And those kids are precious. Miss you tons,
    Liesl

    ReplyDelete