phil33palmer@gmail.com barbiep.75@gmail.com
mail: Barb/Phil Palmer c/o Galmi Hospital B.P. 44 Madaoua, Niger

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Led Like a Lamb . . .

I have never been particularly interested in visiting the Holy Land, but I have  realized God has many ways of making the accounts in the Bible come alive, or become more visually accurate, which is something I have definitely experienced in our two years in Galmi!  For example, in my mind, the stable where Jesus was born is not a bed of sweet hay, with clean animals far in the background to lend authenticity, but maybe something more like this:
One Family's "Stable" in Galmi
Or, it could have resembled this (with probably an overhead covering):
A Different Family's "Stable"
Life here for Nigeriens is just so "basic."  I can't help but think that God, who came to Earth to be not a King ruling in royal robes, with Earthly finery, but to be king of our hearts and lives, would come where and how most people live --- which for 2/3 of the world is very "basic!"

It is easier for me to experience God in Galmi.  I need Him.  I have questions. I am looking for answers.  I am finding His presence more readily as I live life in the context of His calling.  So it should not have surprised me when I "heard His voice" on my way to school one day just before Easter.  I was just passing the last house when I heard the very loud "BAA-A-A-A,  BAA-A-A-A" of a small ram, which compelled me to investigate.  He was tethered to the small animal pen in front of the house, and happened to be one of the half-black/half-white kind that I see a lot of here.  They look "painted" because there is such a distinct line around their middle.
"Baaa-aa-aa-aa!"
I am not sure why, but I went up to the pen and started "talking" to the animal, which of course, was a very one-sided conversation, interspersed with some "baa-a-a" on his part.  Although I am neither a vegetarian, nor particularly fond of animals in general, I was saying words like, "Gosh, I am sorry about your fate (Easter dinner)," which didn't get much response from him!  He would be taken away, fearlessly following, not knowing his destiny, until . . . and then the impact of what would happen brought to mind another lamb --- a perfect lamb --- Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.  "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter."  (Isaiah 53:7)  He did not need to be tethered; no "baa" of protest left his lips; yet he went willingly, even knowing full-well the suffering that He would endure and the fate that would be His. But unlike my "friend in the pen" above, His sacrifice would not be enjoyed for just a day, or talked about for a week, but would be THE SACRIFICE -  sufficient for all eternity, and a joyous celebration for all who claim Him as personal Savior and Lord!

HE IS RISEN!   HE IS RISEN, INDEED!

2 comments:

  1. Barb, such a neat perspective, and what an incredible animal with his two toned coloring. Love your blogs!! Anxious to have you come home!!
    Take care, we pray daily for you and Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your prayers are carrying me, and allowing me to spend the days really HERE, rather than desiring to be home, so I can finish STRONG! Will love spending time with you again, AND BEING RETIRED!

    ReplyDelete